This post was sponsored by the MetLife TRICARE Dental Program as part of an Ambassador Program for Influence Central.
With Halloween not so far behind us, I’m constantly reminded how all that candy and sugar isn’t good for the kids! I’m not one to prohibit them from eating candy, but there’s a point when it’s just too much. It makes me realize how much I need to stay on my kids when it comes to their dental care.
We have always been good about brushing the kids teeth. Now that they are older, they do it by themselves, but we still supervise to make sure they are actually brushing instead of just moving the brush around. Yes, I’ve caught them doing that on more than one occasion. We do our best to get them to the dentist twice a year, but to be honest, life gets in the way of that sometimes. We are all so diligent about our kids medical checkups and vaccinations, but why is it that their dental care gets forgotten about?
So, how do you make sure you and your kids are doing your best to keep your teeth healthy?
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day using a soft toothbrush. For the smaller crowd, help them brush, showing them the proper way to do it.
- Brush with fluoride. Most city water systems have fluoride in their water. If you are overseas or somewhere that doesn’t have fluoride added, it can be bought and used to brush with.
- Floss! Flossing between your teeth each day keeps your gums healthy and helps remove plaque.
- Take care of your toothbrush. As gross as it may sound, don’t share it. Also, don’t cover or it store it in a closed container.
- Make sure to rinse your toothbrush. After brushing, rinse your toothbrush with tap water to get rid of toothpaste and debris, allow it to air-dry, and store it in an upright position.
- Visit the dentist twice a year. If you have the TRICARE Dental Program through MetLife, you are covered for two cleanings and two exams during a 12 month period, at no cost. Take advantage of it!
Not sure if you are enrolled in the TRICARE Dental Program? Enrollment is super easy. Visit www.tricare.mil/bwe to enroll or www.metlife.com/tricare for additional information, or call 1-855-638-8371 Sunday 6:00 p.m. – Friday 10:00 p.m. (EST) except holidays.
I have used the TRICARE Dental Program since 2003 and I’ve never had any issues. I’ve had routine cleanings, a cavity or two filled, and my wisdom teeth removed. I’ve been having issues with a tooth lately, so I went the dentist a couple weeks ago. Odds are I’m going to have to have a root canal in the future, but I’m aware of the issue now so I can keep an eye on it, I got a cleaning while I was there, and it cost me nothing out of pocket.
My youngest went in for a routine cleaning a few weeks ago too. She has a pretty bad underbite. We were first told when she was around 2 or 3, that she would most likely need braces to correct the underbite around the age of 5 or 6. She is now 6 and has her first orthodontics consults coming up. By making sure she visits the dentist regularly, we are being proactive with issues and taking care of them while it’s still early.
For additional information visit: