Like any mom, I don’t take the time out for me enough. I don’t have spa days or get my nails done on a regular basis. Heck, I bet I only get a haircut 3 times a year. The first time I got a facial and a massage was when I was 28, right before the husband and I got married. The next time I got either was last summer, 5 years later. I love them and I feel great afterwards, but I just can’t seem to find the time to keep up with it. I need to take the time for myself though. It’s good for my sanity and my family’s. They need a calm, relaxed, happy mom and not what I can sometimes turn into. The older I get though, the more I think about the condition of my skin, especially on my face. I’m not a super vain person, but even I don’t want premature wrinkles and I sure don’t want to look older than I am.
Last week, I went to see April at Shine Beautifully for a facial. She has a $40 facial special for all new clients. You can’t beat that. I think she may have convinced me to get facials on a regular basis too. It also didn’t hurt that she was super sweet and we had a great talk.
Besides getting some much needed alone time in, here are April’s reasons for treating yourself to a monthly facial, some of which I had no clue about.
- The reason behind getting monthly facials is that the outermost layer of visible skin will completely renew itself approximately every 28 days. In this time your skin cells are constantly being replicated from the treated cells to replace the old cells. If you give your skin a head start by getting facials, your skin cells will begin to replicate the now healthier cells and thus give you a better complexion. Also, most skin products can take up to 6-8 weeks to start to treat active skin cells, but by speeding up the renewal process with monthly facials, you can make these products work faster and more effectively.
- Facials can help even skin tone and lighten dark spots. Dark spots age our skin’s appearance visibly. You should always be using sunscreens, even in the winter months and when it’s overcast.
- Facials decrease waste underneath the skin that can cause puffiness, ruddiness and fluid accumulation by manipulating the lymphatic system that lies just under the skin. Facials also aid in detoxifying the skin of impurities.
- A good facial includes facial massage that can help smooth fine lines and promote collagen production, which is the building block of the skin that prevents premature aging, wrinkles and sagging.
- Facials allow you to relax. They feel great and are healing to the mind, body, and soul. The power of touch, massage, proper technique and professional products can be healing to the skin more than client realize.
- Facials increase circulation of the blood under the skin allowing the skin keep healthy and facilitate the renewal process of new skin cells.
- Facials slow the aging process. They allow your skin to feel healthier, smoother and look more radiant. Facials reduce fine lines, age spots and relieve dehydrated skin. With these benefits, facials make us feel better about our skin. With the use of exfoliation, massage and the penetration of nutrients and antioxidants, facials also fight to reverse aging. We will all age, but we can do it more slowly with glowing, firm and hydrated skin.
- Facials are not a miracle in an hour but they do give you a fresh start to a healthier and balanced complexion. Monthly facials will help you maintain optimal skin health. Facials are especially great for those that have an issue with breakouts.
- Facials will cleanse the pores on a much deeper level. Extractions/cleaning out the pores can help to maintain clear skin, stop acne formation as well as to help change your pore size. Often times left unchecked, pores can start to stretch and widen with the accumulation of oil and impurities (blackheads/whiteheads).
- Facials provide deeper exfoliation than you can achieve at home because professional grade products are used. Exfoliation smooths skin, allows for great penetration of products, unclogs pores, improves skin ability to retain hydration and evens skin tones.
For those in the San Antonio area, April is located at 123 Southbridge Street. Check out the entire facial menu here.
She is also giving away an aromatherapy facial! You must be local or willing to by yourself a plane ticket to get here.